Thursday 13 February 2014

I started by choosing the question ‘contradictions`. I began by creating some observational drawing of objects to try to understand how they could contradict each other not only by what kind of object they are but by creating marks and tones to represent them. By doing this the piece of art will gain new depth as an observer wound have to properly observe the art to understand why  it is contradicting.

Guy Laramee creates sculptures of landscapes in various materials, mainly books, and makes the landscape look realistic as possible.
This artist’s work drew me in as the work looks almost as if it was a photo of a landscape up close The work also contradicts its self in a way as Laramee is trying to create a realistic natural looking sculpture on a man-made material.



(1)  Guy Lamamee, ‘Serra Gaucha` (date unknown)
In this piece Laramee has recreated a mountain side amazingly, if it wasn’t for the visible book pages people might even think it was a photo.  I realise that in my controlled assessment I will not have enough time to do anything quite as accurate as this. I am also aware that I lack the skill and experience to do a sculpture of that accuracy but I may be able to study them and draw a similar style to the sculptures.
  (2) Katharina Chapuis, ‘Untitled #SQ-BG9`, (2009), oil on camvas

I have also thought about looking at colours and how they interact with each other as Katharina Chapuis does. I would like to see if certain colours oppose each other and have a contradictory relationship.  It appears that Chapuis uses very strong bold colours around the outside of the paper and uses light hues of the colours towards the centre of the paper.

(3) Sophia Jodoin, ‘Helmets and gasmasks`, (2007-09), N/A
Another direction I have thought of taking the controlled assessment is photo realism. Sophia Jodoin has drawn a helmet in this sketch that looks almost real. The black and white almost contradict each other as they are complete polar opposites in terms of colour.
I shall continue with my observational studies of object for now and eventually experiment with each artists style to help me find my own and to help guide me in a certain direction.


References:
(3): http://sophiejodoin.com/site/oeuvres-works/

No comments:

Post a Comment